Wednesday, 26 October 2016

A necklace for a plakhta

First was the desire that had no any connection to the glass: I wanted to collect a full array of traditional Ukrainian female attire and, if necessary, supplement it with the stuff made by myself. Now, after almost two years from the appearance of the idea, I have even two such outfits. But in the process of collecting, at least one piece of clothes that came out of my hands happened to become more modern than had been planned. I'm saying about a plakhta, which is the traditional Ukrainian waist wear clothes, that in the result of my performance happened to have quite a mod look and seems more like a straight skirt with a decorative wrapped over element. Nevertheless, I can't say that it is bad. Such a turnover allows to wear it almost every day and be stylish enough at the same time. I'll show this skirt to you in the next post, while now is time to tell about the necklace that I decided to create to fit it.


Like all my recent works, it was a long story. First, it took me quite a long time to form the whole idea of its style, because unlike my "Folklore" series, I wanted to make something definitely modern. Then there was the funny case to happen with the textile beads I ordered from Alexandra TildaS: originally I wanted to use green together with black and white, but then, with my order, I received an unexpected gift - colored beads that were used instead of black and white in the result. Then I have been making glass elements very slowly: although there are few of them, I had not enough spare time to sit before the burner and make all of them at one time. But, strangely enough, the assembly went swimmingly - perhaps because I eagerly wished to complete this project at last :)




In addition to the five types of glass beads, made of glass of four shades of red and orange, in this necklace I used textile beads made by Alexandra TildaS of two different fabrics, artisan ceramic beads by Alexandra Zolotareva and vintage threads. Basic "rope" in form of a braid is not only the base but also serves as a string and regulator of the length. In my opinion, the fact that two types of glass used are made in Ukraine by Martezzi adds extra ethnic flavor to this piece of jewelry.


That's all so far. See the next time how the necklace looks "on a model". Stay tuned ;)

P.S. Ukrainian version of the post is here.