Sunday, 19 March 2017

Get Styled!: issue No 3

I know, that it's spring already, but the weather is not too warm in Kyiv now, so I feel myself free to show you one of my winter favourites today. I prefer warm coats for winter more than anything else, and this one is something I wanted to make for quite a while. The idea or this coat came to me few years ago, however, since the previous three winters or so were quite warm, it seemed that such coat is not too necessary at all. Nevertheless, last year I finally decided to make this project come true, found the fabrics I thought would fit the best, and... understood that I won't make it by my own only. The idea and materials chosen turned out to be too complicated for me, therefore, I looked for a professional tailor and luckily found Elena. I had an experience of working with the tailoring shops: for two times in my life I asked for help and in both cases got very poor realization, and after all decided not to use them at all. So you can understand my happiness when I found a professional, who can truly help with my idea. As a result, now I have this incredible coat with antique buttons found at the flea market.


The coat became my salvation for the winter outfits: I like to wear warm full skirts, and previously the narrow coat made them gather in one big fold just somewhere in front of the legs, while short jacket didn't warm up the lower part of the body. The skirt of this coat is half-full that allows wearing puffy skirts under it. The lining consists of three layers - backing cloth with a nice bird pattern, insulation 'Slimtex', and additional cotton fabrics to make sure that the coat can provide a good protection even in the coldest weather. The lining was made to be unfastened if necessary so the coat can be worn when the temperature is about 0°C. The inner side of the main fabrics imitates the fur and provides enough protection from the weather even without lining. We were shooting these photos during the last snowfall of the winter, and I felt too warm.


A few words about insulation 'Slimtex'. It's practical, very thin, lightweight, provides very good thermo-insulation and is made by Ukrainian manufacturer 'K.tex' located in Irpin near my native Kyiv. As I prefer to use Ukrainian materials whenever possible and support local manufacturers, this material was very attractive for me. I sewed a child blanket of it as well, and it turned our very nice as well. So highly recommend! :)


Why does the whole outfit work? First of all, the seams of the coat are mostly open and create a modern look of the quite old-fashion silhouette, while the chequered fabric appeals to a youth spirit in general. The antique buttons add an additional vintage spice to the coat, as well as - together with the same fabric used - connect the coat with the bag that appeals to the postman bags in the sense of shape and size. Light hat, scarf, and gloves lighten the whole outfit, while their color calls to the lightest stripes of the coat and bag. The hat creates enough volume to harmonize head with the puffy shape of the body in a coat. While accurate shoes do not create unnecessary 'weight' in the bottom.



Of course, there are no limits for the perfection: the shoes can be changed for the high, lighter boots to add completeness to the outfit.


Places and passwords :) So:
  • Earrings - Emerald Flame Crafts. You can find the same here.
  • Coat - BB Style with a help of professional tailor, and "featuring" Flea Market.
  • Bag - Mrs Baggins "featuring" Flea Market. After the coat was done, some fabrics have left, so I've made the big bag to fit the coat. The handle was found at the flea market: I like the idea of re-using of such elements very much.
  • Brooch on a bag - Artisan, handmade by my husband :) One of the best gifts ever, to be true.
  • Hat and scarf - Artisan, by Life like knitting. I adore her little - and big - knitted masterpieces and can't even count straight away how many of them are in my possession. Hats, scarfs, mitten gloves, pullovers, skirts... I and my relatives have plenty of them and still want more :)
  • Shoes - Flea Market. I've been looking for such shoes in the stores, but when I saw these at the flea market, realized that they can work even better. Brand new, with tags, they had been selling because of the wrong - for the previous owner - size. 

That's all so far, I hope it was a bit useful. To be continued, so stay tuned :)

P.S. Ukrainian version can be found here.

P.P.S. Elena, thank you very much once more!